Tuesday, July 22, 2008

TT/seat tube

Punctured the TT yesterday, it took some time setting the notcher up centred and straight for the cut it was still off some but I cut it with a 25mm cutter and filed the rest to fit.


Cutting in the jig, was hard to set up.


From the top.


Another angle.

As I said it was off to one side when I had finished the cut, I can see now how a lathe or mill would be so much easier to do these cuts, having the x/y movement of the table to adjust things.


But it filed up ok, and I got the angle right! So last night proceeded with the braze which also went well it lined up good on the drawing, a little off at the bottom (1mm) but I really didn't want to file any more out, got a really good feel for the brazing, having 2 fillets back to back, found the heat control quite easy, torch on, torch off, leave the rod in the flame and near the puddle to keep it a consistant temp, also controling the puddle with the torch and making sure the fillet makes it to the root of the joint.


I cleaned up the junction with boiling water as it was a little hard to soak, which works a treat!
I will head down now and clean it up.

Over the drawing after the braze, looking good.

A little off here, though only 1mm or so.

Heres the frame sitting on my home made v blocks on the drawing.

This is my tube cutter it works well but I don't trust that it always cuts square and centered, so I check it regularly with an old bit of tube and a machinists square.For home stuff it seems good, its nicely made, but a lathe would be preferable.

No comments:

 

avandia