Sunday, July 20, 2008

Head tube/TT junction/Gusset


Well have completed this junction today, but first things first, Squashed the tt from 44.5mm to 35mm with my high tech 4x2 tube press.




I have a new respect for steel now after doing this, I had to squash it to some where around 15-20mm (gap), before the tube came down to 35mm!
Then put it in my tube nocther and cut the mitre, filed and cleaned it up checked the joint for gaps.And basically it took a little time to get them matched nicely but in the end it came up well.





looking tight!

The braze went well, had a little fun with the heat control on the tt/gusset area.The gusset was pretty thin and heated pretty fast compared to the tube below.

First I cleaned everything spotless, then fluxed the joint, baked the flux on with the torch leaving the top of the tt clean for the gusset after, I then tacked the joint on either side of the tt, checked it over the drawing which was all good then I fluxed the gusset and tt tube where it is going to sit and tacked on the gusset, then heated the whole joint and proceeded to do the tinning pass, then on to the fillet.



just after brazing

Something is up with the torch or my regs as the flame changed during the braze and had to set it the flame twice.I think the regs aren't sensitive enough for the torch, will have to set the pressure on the regs again for the next joint.

Anyways just after I had finished I checked on the drawing again and it was bang on so was pretty happy about this, its now soaking will hopefully get to cleaning it up tomorrow, and post some pics.




Hmmm stoked to see it lining up!

No comments:

 

avandia