Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hello WWW

Yo, with some inspiration from Rick/Redwood Rev, i'm here, not sure how this going to start or end for that matter, but is kinda cool.
Also hope theres enough time in the schedule for this!
Hopefully get some nice pics that have been collecting in the computer for ages and post them on here for the peeps to see, and will be a little ol' log of the multitude of projects going on in the man cave(Nevadas affectionate name for my garage!).

Well hello WWW, kinda strange being out there for all to see eh?!Oh well I'll get over my shy kiwi nature and get to it.

Have kinda "acquired" a Surly cross check last week, and started putting it together with some bits I have had lying around here for some time waiting for a project similar this, I had hopes to build a 29er frame for myself but thats been shelfed for the moment while the new addition to the family keeps the disposable income down for a while, but will do at it some stage.

So the current spec of the x check will be-

+ 58cm x check frame and fork
+Bontrager Select bar/stem/carbon seat post combo-donated from my trek 1400
+Exage (very nearly New)brake levers-$30 trade me
+9spd ultegra (I think)bar end shifters-$30 trade me
+Cane creek sealed headset-from EX8(it got my well used Chris King)
+105 long cage derailleur
+Tiagra frt derailleur
+Wipperman 9spd chain
+Sram PG-990 cassette 11-34t(got steep hills and heavy wheels-go figure)
+Fsa gossamer 175mm cranks-bike shop "upgrade special"
+Xt V brakes with tavel agents-trade me/ebay $30
+LX 32H MTB hubs with center lock splines-these wheels will double as a 29 disc set also at some stage
+Rims Hmmm not, sure tried to get Salsa delgado x but Dave at cycle supplies only had one.So will keep you posted on this.
+tyres, thinking Conti top contact or schwalbe marathons of some description
Am thinking of running mud guards/fenders, but to be honest not sure how much rain riding i'll do its much nicer to sit on a bus in the pissing rain!
Can't wait to ride the thing, am quite excited to ride a nice(ish) steel frame, after doing so much research out there on cro-mo bikes it should be interesting, which brings me to my next topic.

I have officially started the Zephyr Mk 1 (hahaha to all those old bogans out there, you know who you are!), have been slowly but surely building up tools, benches, welders, etc to create my next monster, its kinda like a Balfa BB7 but build around the 6 inch trail bike platform that we all seem to be riding these days, so it will have a Fox 36R on the front with some where between 160 and 195mm rear wheel travel.
Just ordered the tubing today from Henry James (was pretty stoked bout this), He was a classic old dude!He even suggested I dissolve the flux with, quote "some of that mountain spring water you folks have up there or perhaps some sheep urine"!!
Was good to spend some time on the phone with him, he knows loads and is qualified too.
Got some other bits for Rich as well, a mention to him to, Rich was the original source of inspiration for this project, and is also a really good man to hang out with, so thanks buddy.
Will get some pics up soon, once I know how to!

1 comment:

Redwoods said...

Welcome Rossco, welcome.

You'll be able to update yoru blog from the bus, on your PDA while it PDO (******** down outside)

 

avandia